Monday, June 1, 2015

[Review] Cinder by Marissa Meyer


11235712
Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Rating: 5 Stars
Series: The Lunar Chronicles #1
Version: Hardcover
Release Date: June 23, 2015


Goodreads synopsis:
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.
 



So maybe I'm a bit late reading this book... and after finish this, I really don't know why I put it off for so long. Maybe it was the sci-fi elements since I'm not really a fan of sci-fi; it actually took a few chapters for me to get used to the idea that Iko was a robot! And here I thought robots didn't have personalities. Anyway, Cinder borrows a few elements from Cinderella (like the name) but is most definitely not a retelling. Though there is a very handsome prince. It takes place quite a few years after World War IV, which united Earth into a few nations/kingdoms/etc(?). There is also Luna, which is basically on the moon and is ruled by an evil Queen. Cinder, a cyborg, lives in the Commonwealth and work as a mechanic and it follows her story as she becomes entwined with Prince Kai. 

This is the first ever YA book that I've read with a bunch of science fiction elements in it since I usually steer clear of science fiction, but the fantastic plot and the lovely characters was more than enough to overlook the prominence of sci-fi in this. Its also categorized as a dystopian, which is quite interesting because it does have many dystopian elements, yet I'd hardly compare the Commonwealth to Panem or anything. In fact, Kai is a rather cute just and fair ruler. I think Marissa does a wonderful job creating a futuristic world that we may see as realistic. 

Next up: the romance! There isn't a love triangle! Woohoo. How many YA books these days don't have a love triangle?! Cinder and Kai's relationship developed pretty fast, but they make such a cute couple. I definitely bought in to the romance and it was actually one of my favorite aspects of the novel. 

Overall, I'd definitely reccommend this to anyone that likes dystopia, sci-fi, fantasy, or are just looking for a nice read with wonderful characters! Bring on book 2.



2 comments:

  1. I am finally...finally....reading this! I love it so much!! I have taking my time reading it because I am enjoying it so much. I know I have the others to read too though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I loved everything about this book lol. I loved the sci-fi twist on one of my favorite fairytales. I have read Cinder but haven't had a chance to continue on with the series. But like you, I am eager to :) Great review!

    Megan @ Ginger Mom and the Kindle Quest

    ReplyDelete