Saturday, October 31, 2015

[Review] The Sleepwalker Tonic by Jason Segel and Kirsten Miller

The Sleepwalker Tonic by Jason Segel and Kirsten Miller

Rating: 4.25 stars
Series: Nightmares! #2
Version: ARC
Release Date: September 8, 2015

Goodreads synopsis:
Charlie Laird has a dream life.

1) He has a weirdo stepmom who runs an herbarium. 
2) He lives in a purple mansion with a portal to the Netherworld.
3) Since they escaped from the Netherworld, he and his best friends have been sleeping like babies. 

But Charlie can’t shake the feeling that something strange is afoot. Charlotte’s herbarium used to be one of the busiest stores in Cypress Creek. Now her loyal following is heading to Orville Falls for their herbal potions.
Weirder, though, Orville Falls is suddenly filled with . . . zombies? At least, they sure look like the walking dead. Rumor has it that no one’s sleeping in Orville Falls. And Charlie knows what that means.

Things are getting freaky again.


I actually read The Sleepwalker Tonic earlier this month but I decided to save my review for the perfect day: Halloween! This is a really great Halloween book- its spooky and fun and perfectly embodies the creepy nature of the holiday.

The book picks up from the last one and Charlie is faced with people from the Orville Falls are sleepwalking and are turning into a zombie-like state. A mysterious new store is distributing tonic which claims to stop nightmares but is turning the people of Orville Falls into a sleepwalking mindless humans. Charlie needs to find who is behind the tonic and to stop them.

I enjoyed this book a lot! Second books are usually a hit or miss with me since it's hard to continue the same wonder of the first one. The Sleepwalker Tonic was definitely a hit!  It was more plot- driven and engaging than the first one since there isn't as much setup so you dive right into Charlie's world again. The mystery behind the tonic was extremely compelling and had me eager to keep on reading.

I loved the fact that we learned more about the characters that were introduced in the first book. It's more family-centic and Jack plays a much bigger role than just being Charlie's annoying little brother. I'm also really happy that Charlotte and Charlie's relationship is much more developed as well. We get to know more about her herbarium and her character becomes more than the trope of an evil step-mother.

I still had so many questions at the end that I wished that were answered especially regarding the mastermind behind the sleepwalking. I kept checking the last couple of pages to make sure that I didn't skip anything. It definitely left me wanting more. (SO many questions!!) It ended way too abruptly for me but that just makes me excited for the next one in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment