Tuesday, May 23, 2017

[Review] Romancing the Throne by Nadine Jolie Courtney

Romancing the Throne by Nadine Jolie Courtney
Version: ARC paperback
Rating: 3.5 stars

Release Date: May 30th 2017



I didn't expect myself to enjoy this as much as I did, but it was certainly an adorable read.

From my knowledge, this book is supposed to be based off of Kate and Pippa Middleton, with Prince William in tow. If they were all in high school and had high school-esque problems, as everyone in high school tends to do.

The first 100 pages reminded me of The Thousandth Floor - everyone is rich, everyone's got something to lose, and everyone was just so damn spoiled that I almost got tired of reading it and wanted to put it down.


He's cute. Not as cute as Edward, though - and his accent is a dead giveaway that he probably didn't grow up playing polo and taking ski holidays in Switzerland. 

Charlotte, our protagonist, and younger sister of Libby, who moves to her school in the beginning of the year, is rather judgmental and stuck up in the earlier part of the novel. However, get past this, and the book really picks up, as we see Charlotte overcome the many turmoils of dating a prince and being a part of his group of friends. Life certainly isn't easy for royalty.

It gets worse when she breaks up with Prince Edward, only for him to start dating her sister Libby a few months later. The sisters' bond has never been weaker.

I like that the focus was on Charlotte mending her relationship with her sister and supporting her throughout everything, after a few months of silence and ignoring her, she does grow up and shape up into a better person. I really got a feel of how strong their bond was, despite all the troubles that came their way. There wasn't even much of a love triangle to begin with... more like a complication of sisterly bonds.

I feel a twinge of jealous in the pit of my stomach watching them go. It has nothing to do with Edward - I've long since realized he and I were completely incompatible. Rather, all my complicated emotions are focused on Libby; this messy coil of envy and sadness and irritation, layered with a nobler mix of pride and satisfaction and approval. 

I enjoy how this book tackled reconciling royalty, or a celebrity, with a real person. Edward definitely was just like any high school teenager, just with the added benefit of a crown on his head in the future.

Also, Charlotte and Libby's family values reminded me so much of my own family... and it made them more relatable. Instead of spoiled kids, they were modest and taught to value and spend wisely and I got that so much. There's another conflict between old money and new money... Great Gatsby anyone?

But when you've grown up worrying about money, it's hard to shake that deep-seated financial insecurity.
And when you're new money, you're always jealous of those who are old. 

Despite the slow start, I found myself enjoying this book a lot, and if anyone is looking for a lighthearted read of sisterly love, then this is a book to recommend.


No comments:

Post a Comment