Monday, August 21, 2017

[Review] Truest by Jackie Lea Sommers

Truest by Jackie Lea Sommers
Rating: 3 stars

Format: ARC Paperback
Published: September 1st 2015

Goodreads Synopsis: 

Silas Hart has seriously shaken up Westlin Beck's small-town life. Brand new to town, Silas is different than the guys in Green Lake. He's curious, poetic, philosophical, maddening-- and really, really cute. But Silas has a sister-- and she has a secret. And West has a boyfriend. And life in Green Lake is about to change forever.
Truest is a stunning, addictive debut. Romantic, fun, tender, and satisfying, it asks as many questions as it answers.
6th read for #ARCAugust

I have a lot of thoughts here, so bare with me.

I enjoyed how Truest touched down on a disorder that isn't really well-known, depersonalization disorder, or the feeling of living in a dream. It's part of the dissociative disorders in the DSM-5 (abnormal psychology was one of my favorite classes so recalling this is fun). This brought something different to the whole summer romance table.


West's relationships were brought to light when new boy, Silas Hart moves to town. The two most important ones are her dad and her best friend. She re-examines her relationship with her best friend, Trudy, who left her at Green Lake, to work as a camp counselor. In recent years, her dad, the town pastor, helps everyone else in town but then saves his family for last. The resolution of these relationships is very important for West's growth and development.

Laurel is also important when it comes to Silas and West. West's interaction with Laurel is clearly a positive one, as it brought her out of her disorder from time to time.

I understood the inner turmoil Silas faced - can you imagine picking between your twin or your girlfriend? It's no easy task, and he had to deal with a full circle of problems as well.

West's and Silas's banter was enjoyable and witty. It's lighthearted and you can tell in the beginning there's a spark between them.

"Umm, I listen to the radio. Avoid thinking about college. Con people into telling me their secrets."
"How do you do that?"
"With my long eyelashes," I said, batting them at him. "Now spill your guts."
He laughed, then looked at me through narrowed eyes. "You know, you're all right." 

However, they both have significant others. And I just felt so bad for Elliot, West's boyfriend. I knew where it was headed. I knew where it was going a mile away. Elliot wasn't even a shitty boyfriend. I'd understand a little more if he was. But he tried for West. When it was clear she was drifting away, he tried to make plans for the two of them. She just wasn't interested anymore and spent all her time with Silas. It was so instantaneous. Silas just kept on butting into all their plans even though they kept on telling each other they were dating other people.

Elliot definitely got the short end of the stick the whole novel. He just kept on being a good guy, but West even tried to hook up with him while dealing with her grief of Laurel/Silas. Why? Why is this necessary? Poor Elliot.

I guess this love triangle sort of spoiled the book for me, because instead of feeling immense sadness and depth, I just feel slightly sad and more so annoyed at some of the characters.

1 comment:

  1. I remember wanting to read this book so much but I just got tired of the love triangle trope and it fell off my radar pretty quick. Great review! I might try to pick this up and give it a try!

    ReplyDelete